Thanks Mark!

I used the option you recommended and I noticed that for some subjects the
following error came out:
WARNING:: Inconsistent orientations for individual images when attempting
to merge.
          Merge will use voxel-based orientation which is probably
incorrect - *PLEASE CHECK*!

I checked the images i was trying to merge with fslhd and saw that although
the orientations are the same the matrix dimensions are different.

Does this mean I cannot merge the two dti images?

Thanks,
maria