Hi Michelle

I normally talk to the students and try to get a bit of their background information. Being a foreigner myself and having children who have their A-levels here, I know how tricky it can be. English is strictly not their first language because we do not speak it at home, but to give them extra time would be ludicrous (they studied A-level English Lit). I try to establish where they studied, what language they speak at home without seeming it to be an interrogation. And I ask them to bring in their passport. For EU there will not be any stamps with dates, but outside the EU there will be and then I hope I make the correct judgement in granting them 25% (depending how long they have been here) with the use of a dictionary. They provide the dictionary, which I check, and if they forget to bring it, I take away the 25%.  I then ask the invigilators to keep an eye on them. If they do not use the dictionary I will have another talk to them.

Hope this helps

Marjanne

Marjanne Worsley
Examinations Officer

Phone: 01444 446844
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Central Sussex College - Sixth Form College
Harlands Road
Haywards Heath
RH16 1LT

>>> Michelle Turner <[log in to unmask]> 10/04/2013 13:07 >>>
Hi all

I'm after some advice and guidance - it looks like I may have a couple of
students who have been in the country less than two years, use a bilingual
dictionary in class etc and will also be requesting extra time..

I've been through the JCQ guidance and wondered how do you evidence this
especially for extra time I'm thinking parents level of English?!? They are
being 'prepared' for qualifications in English but using dictionaries and
extra time..?!?

But where has the tutor been until now - telling us this!?!?

Help please?!?

Thanks
Michelle

*Michelle Turner*

*Examinations Manager / Rheolwr Arholiadau*

Deeside College /Coleg Glannau Dyfrdwy

Kelsterton Road / Ffordd Celstryn

Connah's Quay / Cei Conna

Flintshire / Sir y Fflint

CH5 4BR / CH5 4BR

* *Email/Ebost: [log in to unmask]

Tel/Ffon: 01244 831531 Ext: 6107

Fax/Ffacs: 01244 814305

--
Please consider the environment before printing / Ystyriwch yr amgylchedd
cyn argraffu

This message is sent in confidence for the addressee only. It may contain legally privileged or commercially confidential information. The contents should not be disclosed to anyone other than the addressee. Any opinion expressed represents the personal views of the sender and not necessarily those of the College. Unauthorised recipients are requested to preserve this confidentiality and should please advise the sender immediately of the error in transmission. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.