I wonder if you can all help me with a query.

Our Apprenticeship manager has sent out the following email below.  I'm not sure that this is correct - from my understanding not all students will have sat the new specification GCSE English since September 2010 that incorporates the Functional Skills.  I believe that there are still some of the old GCSE's still running that do not have the FS embedded in them.  As you can see from the email below our apprenticeship manager is telling all staff that anyone who has sat a GCSE since 2010 will be exempt from having to do their FS exams as part of their apprenticeship.

Any help advice would be great, thanks

Hi All

As part of the apprenticeship framework, as you already are aware, is the transferable skills (ie now functional skills).  At the intermediate level the level for functional skills is Level 1.

As from Summer 2012 GCSE's for Maths and English to at least a grade E acts as a total exemption against a Level 1 functional skill.

This is because the GCSE qualification specifications were revised in 2010 to include 'enhanced functional content'. GCSEs awarded in/after summer 2012 are based on these new specifications.

How do I know if my GCSE has 'enhanced functional content'?

The revised GCSE was introduced in September 2010 with first certificates due in summer 2011. Any GCSE certificate dated June 2011 onwards will be the new GCSE with enhanced functional content.  This includes GCSE Short Courses.

For Level 2 functional skill exemption the GCSE must be C or above and within 5 years of apprenticeship start date.

Please see below a list of your learners that may have exemptions.  If they have completed functional skills or are working towards them at present then this is not a problem.  This may help with those that are struggling with obtaining their Level 1 functional skill achievement.

Sarah-Jane Taylor
Examinations Officer
Carlisle College

Tel:  01228 822816

Email scanned for virus infection by iCritical

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Carlisle College. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify Carlisle College on +441228 822703

* To save resources only print this email if it is absolutely necessary *

Carlisle College, Victoria Place, Carlisle. CA1 1HS