Sent: 18 April 2013 15:34
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Extra time in an oral for student with a stammer

Hi all

Has anyone awarded extra time, in an oral examination, to a student with a stammer, for which they are receiving speech therapy? I’ve had a request from the teacher conducting the oral who says she is worried that it may be counted as undue hesitation. The stammer gets worse when she is stressed (not too bad most of the time) and if she were to know she had extra time, it may reduce her stress levels and therefore the stammer might not be as bad.

I know JCQ don’t permit extra time in exams testing the time in which a skill is performed, so although an oral is timed, I don’t think this fits into this category? Is extra time allowed in this situation?

Really drawn a blank on this one so any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Sarah Thompson

Examinations Manager

King Edward VI College, Stourbridge

Email: [log in to unmask]

Extension: 221

Direct dial: 01384 398121

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of
the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or
opinions presented are solely those of the author and do
not necessarily represent those of King Edward VI College
Stourbridge. If you are not the intended recipient, be
advised that you have received this email in error and
we request that you do not disseminate, forward, print, or
copy this email. If you have received this
email in error please notify King Edward VI College
Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY8 1TD, UK on +44-(0) 1384 398100.

This E-mail and files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.

If you are not the recipient please notify the sender immediately and delete the message.

Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the college unless explicitly stated otherwise.

The college may monitor the contents of email sent and received via its network for the purposes of ensuring compliance with its policies and procedures.

This email has been processed by SmoothZap - www.smoothwall.net