As a courtesy I've pasted below a lengthy email reply to an earlier post by Hilary Shaw on this list sent to me by Sonja Boehmer Christiansen who used to subscribe and who had the msg fwded to them. Sonja asked me to post it (see below). But before that appear a few links to blog posts of mine that I've sent in response to her email:

I've written a piece on why terms like 'skeptic' and 'denier' are either inaccurate or unhelpful and a follow up post after I received a surprising degree of attention, including the suggestion I should be beheaded (joke?), from climate contrarians (my favoured term if we have to have one): Call Time on Name Calling . I've also done a podcast linked within this piece:
Climate contrarianism is ideological not hypothetical) but one of the paras specifically in this post
Don’t shoot the pianist: offer a new tune (or, climate science, politics & the media
tries to summarise what happened when climate contrarianism and social media met:

'Sour cherry-picking: At the same time, lurking out there were hundreds of thousands of hacked (er, stolen) emails that included private exchanges that contained some careless phrases (AKA ‘climategate’). The arrival of social media had already made space for a small number of people who had felt excluded by the ‘science is finished’ message to scurry around sour cherry-picking from the vastness of climate science. Technology allowed the likeminded to gather at poles of dissentient opinion online. There they could nourish each others prejudices with little or no contact with the professional research community. These bloggers knew exactly what to do with that handful of careless phrases. The formal processes that have exonerated those headlined in ‘climategate’ mean little to people who have been left suspicious of all that’s gone before.'

These pieces tend to circle around related themes. In short: I argue that we must make public discourses about climate change more plural and dynamic, and have a wider range of tones. Those arguments have been derived from collaborative work across the OU geography dept,  nef and Sheffield School of Architecture and a body of ESRC/NERC seminars on the theme of Interdependence. You can dig into the overlapping academic and popular outputs here and here.

Best wishes

Joe

Dr. Joe Smith
Senior Lecturer in Environment
The Open University
OU 01908 654613
skype: joe-renata
blog: https://citizenjoesmith.wordpress.com/ tweet: @citizenjoesmith

Dear Helen (and critical geographers)
Thanks for  passing this message from  this  research network  on to me.  I think I belonged to this  group once… However, I found it  difficult to read beyond first sentence…’denier’..(or even  ‘pleb mobility’) switched me off, or rather aroused my  spirit of opposition (Widerspruchsgeist)! I am writing as long-term  researcher and editor on this subject.
 ‘Denier’ is an insulting  term deliberately  echoing holocaust denier, hence I feel like shouting at the  writer  or   worse.  Nobody denies that climate is changing. It always has and always will, at issue is whether and how it is changing now,  and whether it is ‘wise’ to be so afraid  of climate change as to hand considerable additional powers to the bureaucracies  which claim that they can  mitigate or prevent  approaching disaster by remove existing freedom  from the public, even at the expense of many  other, immediately urgent issues.

Given the large number of factors involved, simple maths would tell that you cannot predict  for policy purposes (and even less for asserting ‘moral’ claims) until  you know the relative importance of these factors. The role of human influence on climate change remain  strongly  disputed, with extremists on both sides – the extremes are usually linked to strong ideological belief: green,  water melon, red or ‘free market’.

The ‘deniers’ are   opposed  to the claim that the science of climate/climate change is  well understood and criticise the use of model prediction to ‘underpin’ or  rather legitimise policy. I refer to , inter alia,  decarbonisation  as energy policy  or ‘carbon footprint reduction rhetoric as  way of exerting moral pressure in  ‘plebs’ and accept  rising prices.

They know that climate is a statistical definition or simply a list of all things natural,  and that scientists, as distinct from soothsayers, cannot ‘predict’ the  future of climate. At most they can offer scenarios from which politics, and research can select for their own purposes.  I know what has been  selected after 1990 in the energy arena:  arguments, technologies and subsidies to support  low-carbon  energy  technologies and economic instruments, like  ETS and CDM (all pretty much dead by now unless..), as well as prepare the public  for  energy  shortages and higher prices.

All this thanks largely to the  UK MET Office, initially, and its ally the Thatcher administration (in spite of internal resistance….. why not  do research into this ?

All predictions  about  future climates are based on computer models, the average Earth  temperature has not risen for almost  20 years(not predicted by  models, though this does not mean  as much as the sceptics  are trying to make out)…. and the  debate about the  reliability of the models has just started even here, and especially here for out MET Office  was to a large extent responsible for the climate hysteria,  started under the Thatcher government. Why then??
Model  results depend on what assumptions and theories are fed into them…the  physics (radiation theory,  behaviour of water vapour and clouds..) , chemistry , feed backs etc ..and human factors, i.e., future emissions scenarios , being fed into them.  If  you want a certain  answer you can get it with enough  fiddling…. Many sceptics miss a proper engagement (by IPCC) with  complexity  theory and the  behaviour of water vapour, not to mention extra-terrestrial  influences, especially of the  sun.

Research had of course a bonanza on the climate scare..and I was part of it.

There is  certainly agreement that CO2 in atmosphere is increasing , and has done so  for several 10,000s of years, but  during geologic history  it has also been very much higher, as well as lower, even during the recent ice ages….. I could go on….We do not really know why and there is much  speculation. CO2 is a trace component of the  atmosphere to which humans are ADDING A SMALL BUT SIGNIFICAMT AMOUNT, BUT  WE ARE ONLY SPECULATING ABOUT THE  IMPACTS of this increase. , There are many theories, but  seems to be agreement that CO2 does not directly heat the  earth  surface. There has been some warming we have measured, but ,  sceptics  can show, not outside  past experienced variability. Warming  does occur through disputed  feedbacks, including back radiation and water vapour, but  both processes are still  hotly  debated even  among ‘deniers’. Luckily, at last attempts are being made, to bring the  two sides if not together but into one room  for discussion..here in UK, the Netherlands and even in Germany. Climate scepticism ( I  prefer IPCC critique) has been  influential  and better organised for some time in Australia, Canada and parts of the USA, not to mention Russia. (Here is a  subject  for research!()

There is no certainty at all  about how and by how much  climate has changed, and if so (beyond natural variability measured over what period?),  by  how much and at what rate; we know even less about ‘global’ effects.  You can find figures and model predictions  to support almost any argument by using  selected statistic and time intervals….. The temptation to  make up one’s mind on the basis of getting grants, political ideology (pro or any state)  or environmental belief system, is therefore  very  large.

The ‘climate sceptics’ are in fact  divided  between many  disputing groups using  different  theories of physics and chemistry, arguing about almost everything. I get these debates daily and they drive me potty but they also teach…. It is  so much easier to read the simply stated generalisation by policy-makers summaries (IPCC),  or statements from  Eurocrats, WWF or World Bank all handing out research grants. In my days it  was mitigation research, now  adaptation  seems to be the buzz word… all about how the planet is threatened and can be saved if only we do enough research, pay enough  subsidies and obey enough regulations,  do enough nudging.

One thing is undeniable now,  government subsidies for ‘green’ energy (all energy consumption?) are regressive.  Also ,  environmental impacts should not be limited to  effects  on atmosphere/climate. COis a fertiliser and the basis of life (and diamonds). Renewables have major environmental impacts I will not bore you with… but it is  something I know a bit about..
Switching  to new and different fuels may be justified by many  rational and reasonable arguments, but  science is not one of them. Hence  I  find the  economic/class arguments below pathetic, farfetched and probably  unsupportable even from an economist’s perspective (there are indeed different version of economics related to differ ideologies and assumptions, and their critics should always w=makes their own  assumption clear.

IMHO, after 3 decades or research, projects and many publications, I have concluded  that the  science of climate should have been researched for much  longer, and its many assumptions tested  for many more years, before one  version was accepted as the  foundation for global policies  ‘radical’ enough to be seen by some as attack on prevailing society and industry, including affordable cars and free plastic bags.
In my analysis, selected or value-laded  science  (called post-modern by some) escaped into the  policy  world because it suited so many interest  groups (global and national bureaucracies in particular)), green ideologues as well as  ambitious engineers keen to ‘attack’ and transform  carbon dioxide. Among them were ‘green’ geographers because funding was coming this way being only one  of them and probably no longer the  most important.  (In the  early 2000s  belonged to a RGS research  group calling itself climate change research after having failed to  change its name to simply  climate research).
Put most simply, the climate threat  was the problem  that  already  existing solution needed , by the end of the 19802,  - nuclear power,  wind and solar farms and increased energy efficiency were all  off-springs of the  1970s when  oil prices were very high;  later CCS and smart meters and electric cars were added; all  promised  to reduce GHG emission and hence ‘to tackle’ dangerous anthropogenic global warming (never cooling!)
One thing is undeniable now,  government subsidies for ‘green’ energy (all energy consumption?) are regressive.  The environmental impacts of decarbonisation are not minor and extend far beyond the poorly understood atmosphere; they are limited to  still debated effects  on atmosphere/climate. COis a fertiliser and the basis of life (and diamonds). Renewables also have major environmental impacts I will not bore you with… but it is  something I know a bit about..

The  pleasures and advantages of cars , that is individual mobility  not linked to fixed places,  hugely underestimates above. To  really appreciate the advantages of this mobility you need to have/ have had small children, lived in  hilly areas and love  nature  without millions and noise around you, as well as old age, or have widely dispersed friendship groups.

It has done me good to read the above message  from  and to ‘young’ geographers. My  question to you, can’t critical geography  think of  more important things in this disturbed, unfair and increasing unequal world?? Why not attack  market economics and the  regulation of profits (or lack thereof), the  effect  of environmental regulations on employments etc…  , and  what is happening to our educations  system as the result of ‘regionalisation’  rather than  worry about bin liners etc.

I remain a little shocked and disappointed, is it possible that this  message from and to  British geography research  group uses the language of a ‘sect’ and not of academe?  Having written enough about  this in the past, I must stop…but IMHO the retreat  from  environmentalism as research  priority and with it from the danger of eco-fascism,  has already began.
Best wishes
Sonja
PS To Hilary Shaw: “So we need to inject a little more science here..”
Indeed, as well as honesty and  common sense, and perhaps even more  respect for people as the are. They  don’t mind initiatives that make sense and do not  restrict freedom even more, that do not smack of  social engineering by elites or their funded advisors. I agree, a renting culture would make social engineering easier, but do you really believe that green ideology (support for ‘pleb mobility’ can or should change this?

Dr.Sonja A.Boehmer-Christiansen
Reader Emeritus, Department of Geography
Hull University
Editor, Energy&Environment
Multi-Science (www.multi-science.co.uk)
HULL HU6 7RX