*CFP: Urban commons: Moving beyond state and market*

September 27th & 28th, 2013, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Germany
Georg Simmel Center for Metropolitan Studies Urban Research Group
urbanresearchgroup.blogspot.de <http://urbanresearchgroup.blogspot.de>

Urban space is a commons; simultaneously a sphere of human cooperation
and negotiation and its product. Today, we need to understand urban
/commoning/, the creation and maintenance of urban commons, as a
dialectical relationship between state and capital (e.g. Hardt and Negri
2009). Rather than positing commons as /beyond /state and market (e.g.
Helfrich 2012), this conference asks how to move there. In particular,
we wish to scrutinize how a focus on commons might advance (or preempt)
existing or emergent urban struggles.

Understanding urban space as a commons means that the much sought-after
productivity of the city /precedes /rather than/results from/ strategies
of the state and capital. It challenges assumptions of urbanization as
capital-driven (e.g. Harvey 2006). This idea resonates with a range of
recent urban social movements, from the Arab Spring and the occupy
movement, to the "Right to the City" alliance, and countless initiatives
seeking to "Reclaim the City". Initiatives to create "commons", such as
networks of small entrepreneurs, subcultural producers, initiatives
offering direct services to the marginalized and urban gardening, are
welcomed and even facilitated by governments in order to (re-)valorize
urban space and lessen the impacts of economic restructuring. However,
at the same time, the creative and reproductive potential of the urban
commons is undermined by new attempts to exploit and control (i.e.
enclose) them, which are exacerbated by austerity politics.

In this context, this symposium seeks to explore the role and position
of commons in urban research and open the debate to contributions from
all disciplines. We are particularly interested in contributions that
address the following six topics around which the panels of the
symposium will be based:

_1. Gentrification's tragic pioneers: Victims of enclosure of the
commons?_: How do struggles to preserve urban commons against economic
enclosures of the city (i.e. gentrification) differ from state attempts
to foster dynamics of commons generation (as a basis for future
exploitation)?
_2. Agency of urban commons:_ What strategies, tools and methods do
urban commons employ to reach their goals and meet their needs? What
role do they play in subjectivity production, urban dwellers'
empowerment and actual social and spatial change in the urban realm?
_3. "The city is our factory": Immaterial labor and resistance in
Post-Fordism:_ What does resistance mean when the rise of the creative
class is premised upon the refusal of Fordist discipline and the embrace
of common resources is a central paradigm for urban economic development?
_4. The city and the sovereign:_ How do "commons"-oriented initiatives
navigate between cooptation and criminalization? How do the
subjectivities that they engender relate to emergent forms of governance?
_5. Urban commons and public services:_ What are the political
perspectives of introducing a commons perspective into (municipal)
government? The concrete example to be discussed in this panel is recent
initiatives to defend public real estate and infrastructure.
_6. Spatialization of the digital commons:_ How does urban space relate
to the digital commons? In what ways can we see the struggles for
digital commons connected to urban space? To what extent can we
understand urban space as spatialized digital commons?

Please send abstracts of 300-500 words to [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> by April 10th.
The deadline for finished papers is September 1st, 2013.
A publication of a symposium anthology is planned for summer 2014.