I'm new to this crisis forum, so obviously I don't know its history or many of the members. To be honest I don't even know how I got on it.

I'm all for better tones of discussion. Of course its arguable what that means.

it is very common for people to find any distraction they can to change the subject, think about something else, put the blockers up and do an ostrich head in the sand act when faced with something as big and ugly as a planet wide extinction event. I think john nissans right to name this as an extreme example of mortality salience-when people are confronted with something that reminds them of their own mortality they tend to do anything they can to avoid thinking about it.

I've had the opportunity to observe this many times recently, when talking to nz politicians, business leaders etc for example I've known several leaders of the nz green party, which is ten percent of our parliament for a long time. They are fully aware how bad things are on the gw front, but are also suffering from pessimism bias. Thinking that nothing can be done. So although they have talked and communicated freely with me for years, respect the work I've done for them on scientific reports on other issues, they are running for the hills on this one. I'm not getting this from the environment minister from the last labour government, whom I also know well though.

Anyway I hope Im wrong,  but it may be that I provoked some mortality salience by mentioning that venus syndrome or snowball earths were possible outcomes.

I'm all for less talk and more action. However in saying that, marketing science says that 15-20 repetitions can make almost anyone think that almost anything is a good idea.

Yours respectfully
Aaron franklin