  _____

From: Discussion List for Contemporary and Historical Archaeology
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Elizabeth Galloway
Sent: 30 April 2013 09:11
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Coins and Trees

On a recent visit to the Lake district, we found a felled tree with coins
hammered into the trunk- beside the footpath around Tarn Hows near Coniston.
Judging by the number of coins and the coverage, it would appear this has
been happening for some time. Until today I was not aware of this practice
anywhere else. I'd be interested in hearing any further information.

Elizabeth Galloway
Derbyshire.