Dear colleagues,
I would like to let you know about a book that I have recently
published that may be of interest to this list's members. Full details
appear below.
Best wishes,
Jacob Edmond

Jacob Edmond
_A Common Strangeness: Contemporary Poetry, Cross-Cultural Encounter,
Comparative Literature_
(New York: Fordham UP, 2012),
272 pages, 19 black and white illustrations;
ISBN: 9780823242603 (paperback); 9780823242597 (hardcover);
e-book also available

Why is our world still understood through binary oppositions--East and
West, local and global, particular and general, common and
strange__that ought to have crumbled with the Berlin Wall? What might
literary responses to the events that ushered in our era of
globalization tell us about the rhetorical and historical
underpinnings of these dichotomies?

_A Common Strangeness_ addresses the relation between the general and
the particular in our age of globalization. As an antidote to
dichotomies, _A Common Strangeness_ presents a more complex picture of
cross-cultural encounters and entanglements. The book begins with the
entrance of China into multinational capitalism and the appearance of
the Parisian flaneur in the writings of a Chinese poet exiled in
Auckland, New Zealand. Moving among poetic examples in Russian,
Chinese, and English, _A Common Strangeness_  then traces a series of
encounters shaped by economic and geopolitical events from the
Cultural Revolution, perestroika, and the June 4 massacre to the
collapse of the Soviet Union, September 11, and the invasion of Iraq.
In these encounters, I track a shared concern with strangeness through
which poets contested old binary oppositions as they reemerged in new,
post-Cold War forms. In this way, the book sheds new light on the
patterns of literary making and cosmopolitan thinking that drive the
aesthetics of globalization today.

Table of Contents

Introduction
1. Yang Lian and the Flaneur in Exile
2. Arkadii Dragomoshchenko and Poetic Correspondences
3. Lyn Hejinian and Russian Estrangement
4. Bei Dao and World Literature
5. Dmitri Prigov and Cross-Cultural Conceptualism
6. Charles Bernstein and Broken English
Conclusion
Notes
Works Cited

For further information, see
http://fordhampress.com/index.php/a-common-strangeness-paperback.html<http://fordhampress.com/detail.html?id=9780823242603>
or http://commonstrangeness.wordpress.com

Extracts from the book can be read on Google Books:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Kq3M4yE0MI4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=a+common+strangeness&hl=en&sa=X&ei=pVzVT-PBA6zsmAWM3PHxAg&ved=0CDUQuwUwAA

Recently published: A Common Strangeness: Contemporary Poetry,
Cross-Cultural Encounter, Comparative Literature

"Edmond?s is a provocative, exciting, and genuinely original study of
the new poetics; we will all be learning from it!???Marjorie Perloff

"Edmond?s shrewd account of literary crossings in post-Cold War
history helps us imagine how we can experience the challenge of new
literary configurations."??Jonathan Culler

http://commonstrangeness.wordpress.com

Jacob Edmond, Associate Professor
Dept. of English, University of Otago, PO Box 56, Dunedin 9054, New Zealand
http://www.otago.ac.nz/english/staff/edmond.html

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.