Responding to a couple of questions from Ethan, Charlie, and Phil:

Ethan: Using the default bulk solvent modeling in Phenix; no selenium, but I'll double-check wavelengths as a sanity check for scattering factors (but several other native data sets from the same synchrotron trip refined beautifully, so I suspect there's no gross boo-boos of this nature...)

Charlie:  Solvent regions are pretty clean; I haven't tried any flipping (these are molecular replacement models, so it didn't occur to me...). I tried applying NCS in one case (the smaller cell) and it had no apparent effect on the refinement. The Fo-Fc map has no strong features crying out for interpretation. Just based on geometry and map appearance, I'd be inclined to say the refinement is done, were it not for the crappy R values.

Phil:  I used TLS for refinement in both xtal forms; it gives a small improvement (0.01-0.03) in Rfree in both cases, but nothing magic. I simply used one monomer/TLS group (these are ubiquitin variants, so the monomer itself is pretty much a little rock, without any internal domain motions). There are the usual complement of disordered side chains, but nothing unusual, and  >98% of the main chain is accounted for. Haven't tried Arp/wArp yet...

Excellent thoughts, keep those cards and letters coming. I'm still chewing on the substantive comments from Dean and Adrian...

Thanks,

Pat