From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stephen Campbell
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:53 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Difficult data

Hi Everybody,

Thanks so much for all the help!  I suppose I should give more info.  Marco, the data is twinned - I forgot about that in my initial posting.  I can't remember the stats, but it is not a perfect twin.  I thought that Phaser accounted for twinning, and I haven't got a solution good enough to worry about the twinning in refinement (so I haven't really been worrying about that at this point - maybe wrongly?).  I'll send out some diffraction images tomorrow if you would still like to see.

I'm fairly certain I'm working with the peptide - I have run SDS-PAGE as well as a Superdex-75 and the purity is perfect, and the size is what I would expect (3 kDa), so no obvious oligomers in solution.

Dominica, the peptide is synthetic, but CD analysis suggests it is structured, and helical in nature.  It's is not cyclic,  but likely does have disulfide bridges keeping it fairly rigid.  The model I am using is an NMR model (sequence identity is almost 100%), but the ensemble shows very little flexibility, and any regions that show some sort of flexibility were trimmed (only two residues at each terminus).  I have also reduced the NMR model to one chain.  Are there other issues with the NMR models that I should be aware of?  I don't have much experience using them.

Pete, I did try all of the space groups within the P4 bravais lattice, but it didn't seem to matter which one I used.  Nico, that's what I thought too, but unfortunately I've never had such a large unit cell with such a small peptide, so I'm not sure at which point it gets ridiculous and there is more likely something wrong with the processing...  Going back to France, hey?  You're going to miss Edmonton soooo much!  Especially the warm winters.

Stephen