On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Boaz Shaanan
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

>  Whichever way the input file for the run is prepared (via GUI or command
> line), anybody who doesn't inspect the log file at the end of the run is
> doomed and bound to commit senseless errors. I was taught a long time ago
> that computers always do what you told them to do and not what you think
> you told them, which is why inspecting the log file helps.

I agree in principle - I would not advocate that anyone (*especially*
novices) run crystallography software as a "black box".  However, whether
or not a program constitutes a black box has nothing to do whether it runs
in a GUI or not.  The one advantage a GUI has is the ability to convey
inherently graphical information (plots, etc.).  That it is still necessary
to inspect the log file(s) carefully reflects the design of the underlying
programs; ideally any and all essential feedback should also be displayed
in the GUI (if one exists).  Obviously there is still much work to be done
here.

-Nat