Annual Conference of the
American Society for Cybernetics
Acting - Learning - Understanding
reflecting, collaborating, conversing, doing
28 July to 3 August 2013 in Bolton, UK
http://asc-cybernetics.org/2013

Premise
This conference is designed around the exploration of understanding and acting as circularly conjoined. Acting and understanding will be given equal weight, with each framing the other. The processes of learning are a major means of moving between the two, and take place in an environment, often framed as formal or informal education. Discussion of these processes and context provide a means of relating practical proposals for interventions and theoretical debate.

Theme
The fundamental position of the conference is based in circular causality, which was at the heart of the concerns of the Macy Conferences where cybernetics took its contemporary form. We see the old simplification that acting is located in understanding and operates through linear causality, as providing inadequate explanation for lived experience.

Style
The conference will be a conversational conference. We will work together (collaborate) in small groups and through plenary sessions, to improve understanding and acting, explored together.

Contact Email
Please direct email inquiries to [log in to unmask]

Paper Refereeing and Proceedings
Although this is a conference that values conversation between participants above all, we have made
arrangements for those who need or want to submit papers. This conference is expected to generate a set of proceedings published after the conference by one of several high quality journals and publishers with which the ASC is well connected. The process of refereeing and publishing is a cumulative one that allows for continuousimprovement of each paper, especially in reflecting discussions at the conference.

Important Dates
03-May-2013 Early bird registration deadline 1
28-May-2013 Open reviewing begins
31-May-2013 Extended Abstract due
14-Jun-2013 Returned with comments to authors
21-Jun-2013 Early bird registration deadline 2
28-Jun-2013 Revised Extended Abstracts due
28-Jul-2013 and 29-Jul-2013 Pre-conference
30-Jul-2013 to 01-Aug-2013 Main conference
02-Aug-2013 and 03-Aug-2013 Post-conference

American Society for Cybernetics
Founded in 1964 and by now completely international, theASC has long been particularly associated with so-called Second Order Cybernetics. Our conferences are often experimental and attempt to capture the spirit and understandings of cybernetics in how we behave. Our members come from many backgrounds, and we have a strong commitment to relating to both arts and sciences. See more at: http://www.asc-cybernetics.org

Venue and Co-Organizer
The conference is hosted by the Institute for Educational Cybernetics, University of Bolton, UK, whose goal is to develop better understandings of how information and communication technologies affect the organization of education at all levels. See more at: http://www.bolton.ac.uk/IEC

More detailed information is available from the conference web site, which is in a constant state of improvement: http://asc-cybernetics.org/2013