Hi Jenny,

At Kent we are able to guarantor for care leavers in cases where their local authority can’t. We set up a policy with our accommodation office where any rent arrears goes against their student account (so would need to be settled prior to graduation) but they can at least secure a tenancy. Other HEI’s might want to look into whether you offer this sort of policy to international students who also have problems finding a guarantor. If you already do then you might be able to extend it to care leavers as well (probably an easier sell than getting a whole new policy created). Campus accommodation is another option but generally second and third years will want to live in town with friends from year one.

Best wishes,

Tim

From: For staff working with care leavers in F and HE [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dunstall Jenny
Sent: 15 April 2013 17:19
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Care leavers rent guarantors?

Dear all,

Has anyone had an issue with rent guarantors for the private sector?  We have a student whose local authority say they can’t do this, and I don’t know that we can either.  Have any of your institutions done this for a care leaver?  We don’t have halls accommodation for year 2 & 3 students, only year 1.

Kind Regards

Jenny

Jenny Dunstall

Deputy Head of Student Services

University of Northampton

Student Centre

Park Campus

Boughton Green Road

Northampton NN2 7AL

01604 892252

The University of Northampton joins the global Social Enterprise elite and is the first Ashoka U 'Changemaker Campus' in the UK; recognised for the excellence of our extensive social enterprise, innovation and entrepreneurship provision. See more about this on our website www.changemakercampus.org.uk

The University of Northampton is England?s No. 1 University for employability 2012. 96% of our graduates are in employment or further study six months after completing their courses. See more about this on our website www.northampton.ac.uk/about

This e-mail is private and may be confidential and is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient you are strictly prohibited from using, printing, copying, distributing or disseminating this e-mail or any information contained in it. We virus scan all E-mails leaving The University of Northampton but no warranty is given that this E-mail and any attachments are virus free. You should undertake your own virus checking. The right to monitor E-mail communications through our networks is reserved by us.

To unsubscribe from the CARELEAVERSINHEI list, click the following link:
&*TICKET_URL(CARELEAVERSINHEI,SIGNOFF);