Hi again Jamie,

Just like to say that I really appreciate the trouble you've gone to
in your reply below, and indeed in the rest of your posts on this -
and sorry that you feel 'kinda alone', but knowing the limited
readership of this list these days it is not surprising. And I know
some people get irritated by exchanges such as the Muldoon one, but to
be honest such things are the only thing these days which can suddenly
bring this list alive.

For myself, I was just trying to be honest. I tried in a very short
space, and with hardly any time, to explain something of the reasons
for my rather indifferent response to Muldoon's poetry in the past.
And I need to emphasize here, that in Muldoon's case it had nothing to
do with being in any 'tribe' - when I first encountered Muldoon I was
in a tribe of one and was reading British poetry with an open mind - I
was looking for things I hoped I would like. This reading led me to
the Northern Irish lot of course, who were highlighted following the
success of Heaney etc. I did not respond very positively to most of
them but Muldoon was among the few that I half heartedly tried to read
further, for a while anyway. His work did seem to be more 'perky' (to
borrow Peter's phrase) and more modern. (As an aside here I must
mention the one N.Irish poet who later did impress me and interest me
a lot, and still does, and that's Medbh McGuckian.) So my reading of
Muldoon is limited and partial - I have only read about a third of
Poems 1968-1998 and this was some time ago too.

So, I've followed your advice and read The Sightseers again. Yes, this
is a good little poem and I like it. You're right about the deliberate
banality of the opening etc. But when I first read that poem it was
clearly not doing the kind of thing that I was personally seeking in
poetry, so my mind didn't linger there. There is nothing unusual about
this situation, it's the level at which, I should think, most of us
operate, especially when we are younger. So this is why I said I did
not know if Muldoon was overrated, but I had my suspicions. And yes,
of course my 'suspicions' come from my polemical experience (so to
speak - if we can have a 'polemical experience').

Reading some of the later short poems in the book now (yes I've
neglected other things to do this) I do quite like some of them, but
its a liking which I think is a bit superficial, I sort of acknowledge
the little twists he takes and can see why and how he does it but I'm
a bit like Peter in thinking that these are more an example of his
facility of words, but then, what isn't? I'm such a cynic sometimes
with regards to the production of poetry and the kinds of value
judgments people give to it. But I'm sorry, the longer ones really
bore me at the moment. I need to try them again when in a better mood.

As I have said here and elsewhere time and time again, there ARE huge
differences in the poetics of the Brit mainstream and us other lot.
There is bound to be when one has its roots in anti-modernism while
the other has its roots deep in modernism. However, these differences
are not static or unchangeable, they go through developments, some of
which cross over and some which veer away entirely. In my experience
those people who tend to make gestures towards bridging the gap then
do the opposite in their behaviour. From both sides too very often the
good intentions can come across as terribly patronizing. This problem
interests me a lot. I am not irritated by it but find it quite
fascinating.

Cheers

Tim A.