Posted on behalf of Jim Ranahan, ARA Diversity Working Group

Engaging with Diversity: Positive Steps
The Archives and Records Association (ARA) is committed to addressing diversity issues, to help existing and potential members.  The Diversity Working Group has instigated a number of measures to ensure that meaningful and long-lasting engagement occurs.

‘Meeting our Members’ Diverse Needs’
This article by Andrew Janes in ARC (the Association’s newsletter: March 2013) provides an excellent summary of both the objectives and actions of the Working Group.   Andrew explains that our initial focus is on disability but that the remit of the group will widen to include all aspects of diversity.

Benchmarking Disability within the Sector
Following the recent equality monitoring exercise (undertaken as part of the ARA subscriptions renewal process), we are now seeking a consultant to survey the wider archives and records sector.  This will establish a benchmark of the numbers of people who consider that they have a disability (as defined by the Equality Act 2010).
We seek you help in ensuring this survey succeeds, to provide the essential base-line from which we can ensure that the varied needs of all stakeholders in the sector are effectively met.

The consultancy brief for the equality survey is available to view on our Diversity web pages at http://www.archives.org.uk/ara-in-action/diversity.html  This closes on Friday 26th April 2013.
•	When you receive the survey, please participate.  You WILL make a difference, as the resultant benchmark will be stronger and permit more effective decision-making.
•	Please encourage colleagues and interested parties to participate in the survey.

Case Studies
In parallel with the survey, we are also developing a series of case studies relating to diversity, for the benefit of members.  We welcome examples of current practice in the employment of people with disabilities within archives, records management and conservation.  These will be made available, through Best Practice Guidelines or on the ARA website.

ARA Conference
Diversity is on the agenda for the annual conference in Cardiff.  We will be chairing a discussion panel drawing on the expertise of colleagues in a range if diversity issues and we welcome your participation in what promises to be a lively and informative session.  We will also have a stand as part of the Information Marketplace.  See www.archives.org.uk

Find Out More
If you would like to know more about these or other diversity related matters, please contact Sam Collenette, the Chair of the Diversity Working Group ([log in to unmask]) or myself ([log in to unmask]).

We also welcome contributions on our discussion forum http://www.archives.org.uk/sections/interest-groups/general/diversity.html