Dear all,

Here at LJMU we operate our search room on a by appointment basis and we are starting to wonder if it would be worth limiting the number of items that people can request for each visit – to save valuable staff time from spending ages getting a lot of material out for people that they will never get through.

Obviously this is a tricky subject as when researchers come for a couple of days from a distance they can get through a lot of material / want to maximise their time and we don’t have the staff to get more material out for them once they are here, but we have had a few occasions lately where we have spent a lot of time retrieving material that the researcher just hasn’t had time to get through.

I would therefore love to hear from anyone in a similar situation who has considered this option or does have a set limit.  What I would like to know is:

-          Have you set a limit on the number of items that researchers can order for each visit?

-          What is that limit?  How did you reach that figure?

-          What is the reaction from researchers?

-          Have you considered it and decided against it?  Why?

-          Have you tried it, found it didn’t work and have reverted back to not having a limit?  Why was it unsuccessful?

If this is something other people would also be interested in I will happily collate any responses for the list (anonymised of course).

Thank you in advance for any help!

Morag.

Morag Fyfe

Research & Learner Support Officer

Special Collections & Archives / Art & Design

(Thursday and Friday)

Library and Student Support

Liverpool John Moores Univeristy

Aquinas Building

Maryland Street
Liverpool
L1 9DE

Important Notice: the information in this email and any attachments is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to an intended recipient, you should delete it from your system immediately without disclosing its contents elsewhere and advise the sender by returning the email or by telephoning a number contained in the body of the email. No responsibility is accepted for loss or damage arising from viruses or changes made to this message after it was sent. The views contained in this email are those of the author and not necessarily those of Liverpool John Moores University. Contact the list owner for assistance at [log in to unmask]