Colleagues

Some of you will know that I shall be retiring (a couple of years early) from The National Archives shortly: my last working day will be Thursday 16 May (but how much actual work I shall do that day remains to be seen).

I have been invited by the ARA to continue to represent it on copyright issues and so shall be lobbying on your behalf for changes to copyright law that benefit archivists and users of archives without materially damaging the interests of copyright owners. I have also been asked to present a series of workshops for the ARA on copyright with particular reference to forthcoming changes affecting exceptions, the 2039 termination date for many older works and the use of orphan works. No doubt there will be publicity from the ARA about these when plans are more advanced. I shall also continue to represent the ICA at meetings in Geneva that are edging towards (though at times it feels more like away from) a possible international treaty on exceptions to copyright in favour of libraries and archives. Finally I have been commissioned to prepare a new (5th) edition of my book on copyright, which will appear once we can be certain about the changes that will actually be made to copyright law.

In the meantime, if you have particular queries about copyright, you have just over three weeks to get a reply from me.

Kind regards

Tim

------------------

Tim Padfield

Copyright Officer and Information Policy Consultant

The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU

+44 (0)20 8392 5381

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

PLEASE NOTE: Any advice given must not be treated as legal advice, for which professional advice should be sought

Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

National Archives Disclaimer

This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete the email.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message and attachments that do not relate to the official business of The National Archives are neither given nor endorsed by it.