members may find this of interest

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kathleen J., Care2 Action Alerts <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 9 April 2013 03:23
Subject: Save Scottish World Heritage Site from Destructive Quarrying!
To: Umberto Albarella <[log in to unmask]>

Care2 subscriber since Jan 22, 2011 Unsubscribe  |  Share on Facebook  |  Take Action

care2 petitionsite actionAlert
action alert!
New Lanark is just one of four National Heritage Sites in the entirety of Scotland. But now, its locals are fending off destruction by a multi-national quarrying company.
Please sign the petition today! Save New Lanark from Quarrying!
take action
please share
it helps!
share on facebook   share on twitter   share via email

Dear Umberto,

In a nation rich with history, Scotland's New Lanark stands out. It was at New Lanark that the country's first steps toward eradicating child labour, establishing an employee sickness fund and providing education for all workers were taken. Some historians believe that these ideas quite literally changed the world for labour rights.

Because of that, New Lanark is one of only four World Heritage Sites in all of Scotland -- but a multinational minerals firm's proposed quarry extension could destroy it.

New Lanark hasn't changed much since its heyday in the early 1800s. Most of the former industrial buildings are still standing, and the woods surrounding them remains pristine. However, the quarry extension proposed by Cemex, a multinational minerals firm, would require 3.6 million tonnes of sand and gravel to be gutted from the landscape in the next six years.

English poet William Wordsworth once called the waterfall at Lanark "the river Clyde's most majestic daughter." We mustn't let heavy industry mar that gorgeous environment or the important history that it shelters.

If you agree, please sign the petition to save New Lanark from the proposed quarry extension.

care2

Thank you for taking action,

Kathleen
Care2 and ThePetitionSite Team

check your
Butterfly Care2 butterfly Credits!
redeem credits | about butterfly rewards
Care2 subscriber since Jan 22, 2011 Unsubscribe  |  Share on Facebook  |  Take Action

To stop receiving this newsletter, visit:
http://www.care2.com/newsletters/unsub/10007/0/22538580/f61221be

or send a blank email message to:

Care2.com, Inc.
275 Shoreline Drive, Suite 300
Redwood City, CA 94065
http://www.care2.com

--
Umberto Albarella
Department of Archaeology
University of Sheffield
Northgate House
West Street
Sheffield S1 4ET
United Kingdom
Telephone: (+) 44 (0) 114 22 22 943
Fax: (+) 44 (0) 114  22 25 109
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/archaeology/people/albarella
For MSc in Osteoarchaeology see:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/archaeology/postgraduate/masters/courses-available/osteoarchaeology
For Zooarchaeology short course see:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/archaeology/research/zooarchaeology-lab/short-course
For Archaeologists for Global Justice (AGJ) see:
http://agj.group.shef.ac.uk/

"only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught we will realise we cannot eat money"