*        http://www.anthropologymatters.com            *
* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.                *

Dear all,

please find below call for papers on "Climate Change and Ethnography" + "Participant Objectivation - Choosing a Fieldwork Site".
(Accepted languages: Portuguese, English, Spanish, French.)

Sorry for cross-posting.

My Best Wishes,
Paulo Mendes

P.S. Please share!

Panel #49 -- Climate Change and Ethnography

Culture and society are simultaneously the problem and the solution to climate change. However, until very recently, anthropology was not amongst the sciences concerned with this problem and its politics. This panel aims to bridge this gap, which reveals itself as an urgent matter.

Culture and society are simultaneously the problem and the solution to climate change. However, social sciences in general, and anthropology in particular, have been, with few exceptions, on the sidelines of this problem and its discussion. (Preponderate) Preponderation is given to the “economics” that put "markets" and "individuals" in the heart of the matter, and on the environmental sciences that focus on the physical environment. A fact that reveals how the Judeo-Christian tradition embodied in the Cartesian dichotomy that divides "nature" and "culture" persists in contemporary worldvisions and therefore informs the production of knowledge, including the anthropological. One obstacle to this lies in overcoming the Western thought resistances to comprehend "things of nature" as "things of humans", and vice versa. This, in turn, is an attitude not consistent with the now obvious interconnections between the social and the biological, or between the local and the global.

We are therefore asking for papers on ethnographic contexts where nature is prevalent, especially about those where the adaptation/adjustment processes, resilience and escape from climate change effects are already an evidence: from geographies affected by problems associated with global warming (e.g., dislocations, migrations, daily life changes after sea level rising or drought), to social groups seeking alternative ways of life (e.g., neo-hippies, vegans, environmentalists, counter-culture movements). We may thus propose an innovative approach (re)situating the problem in the ways of perceiving/conceiving life and the world (and/or the planet in which life happens).

If you wish to participate, please submit your proposal:
http://www.nomadit.co.uk/apa/apa2013/panels.php5?PanelID=2396

Panel #33 -- Participant Objectivation – Choosing a Fieldwork Site
Why we choose a subject and a site for fieldwork and not another? What determines that choice? Personal interests or motivations? The appeal of a geography, a landscape or a culture? Feelings? Experiences? Academic contexts? Social problems? Urgency? Funding? ...

Based on Pierre Bourdieu’s notion of "participant objectivation", while not denying the virtues of a more interpretive approach, it is proposed as the theme for this panel to analyse the social conditions of possibility for the choice of research subjects and, therefore, fieldwork sites.

The selection of research subjects is not alien to socially constituted effects and limits neither subjective-experiential dimensions, yet this is a matter excluded almost always from the anthropological reflection. Thus, to consider these relations of dependency between object, personal circumstances and knowledge production contexts, may enlighten how closely intertwined are the choices of the diverse terrains with trends, personal interests, recognition of social problems, academic schools, political conditionings, etc., which ultimately also frame and construct the subject/field and our ethnographies.

Being this  ⎯ the terrain is culturally constructed⎯  essential and significant to the ethnographies we write, why so few words about it are left in the ethnographic texts?

Through an "ethnography of ethnographers" we want these words to emerge; simultaneously discuss what attracts us to anthropology, and foremost, the weight of fieldwork in defining the discipline and our own personal experiences.

Accordingly, we are asking for contributions reflecting on this permeability between personal experiences and knowledge production contexts.

All contributions are welcome, regardless of their subject / field.

If you wish to participate, please submit your proposal:
http://www.nomadit.co.uk/apa/apa2013/panels.php5?PanelID=2378

Notes for contributors:
http://www.nomadit.co.uk/apa/apa2013/panels.php5
http://www.apantropologia.org/congresso2013/call-for-papers-pt/

APA website:
http://www.apantropologia.org/
* To join this list or to look at the archived previous       *
* messages visit:                                             *
* http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/Anthropology-Matters.HTML   *
* If you have ALREADY subscribed: to send a message to all    *
* those currently subscribed to the list,just send mail to:   *
*       Enjoyed the mailing list? Why not join the new        *
*       CONTACTS SECTION @ www.anthropologymatters.com        *
*    an international directory of anthropology researchers
*
* To unsubscribe: please log on to jiscmail.ac.uk, and            *
* go to the 'Subscriber's corner' page.                                  *
*