*****  Apologies to those who receive this more than once *****

*TRANSFERS ACROSS GENERATIONS : WEALTH AND POVERTY*

*An 'Ideas Event' supported by the ESRC*

**

*Deadline for applications:  30 April 2013*

**

Following the launch of the new INTEGRATE network, we would now like to
invite you to the network's first workshop.

**

We are looking for a team of open-minded enthusiasts to join us in
*Prague on 2-3 October 2013*.  The purpose of this two-day 'Ideas Event'
is to provide a free thinking discussion forum to create and develop
innovative research ideas and collaborations. Following the Ideas Event
some additional funds will be available for successful teams to
facilitate further group meetings in which ideas will be progressed and
developed.  The intended outcome is that teams of scholars will be able
to submit applications for additional research funding to appropriate
grant bodies (please note INTEGRATE is not a funding body).   The 2 day
event is free to attend and supported by funds from the ESRC.
Participants will have to cover their own travel and accommodation costs.

New ideas are needed to gain a better understanding of the implications
of transfers of wealth and poverty across generations.    Some emerging
key issues are:

·populations are growing older, with fewer younger people to provide
future support;

·the accumulation of assets is generally seen as a means of moving out
of poverty;

·the availability of assets is unequal, across individuals, families and
nations;

·new dilemmas are emerging among older generations around when and how
assets should be acquired, used and transferred;

·among ageing populations the timing of transfers may be delayed, with
important implications for the life chances and opportunities of younger
generations.

These issues are played out differently across developed and developing
nations, and vary within political and cultural contexts.  Nonetheless
they highlight the challenges and moral dilemmas facing individuals and
families around the motivations for gifting, the benefits of receiving
and the consequences of experiencing neither.

We are looking for a diverse mix of participants to join us at our
event.  We welcome applicants from a range of disciplines and
backgrounds including academics, practitioners and other interested
stakeholders.   We also welcome people at the start as well as towards
the end of their careers.   What is important is your ability to develop
new ideas, and your enthusiasm and willingness to work across new
partnerships.

If you are interested in participating in the INTEGRATE Ideas Event in
October please submit an Expression of Interest, stating:

·Your name and contact details

·Your interest in the topic

·What you can bring to the event (we are particularly interested in
people who are enthusiastic about their research, and willing to step
outside their particular comfort zone).  How well do you see yourself
fitting in to the Ideas Event?

·What do you hope to gain from participating in the event?

Applications should be *no more than 2-sides of A4. *Please send to
Beverley Searle at [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.  Deadline for applications is *30 April
2013*.

For more information about INTEGRATE or to join the network please visit
our website: http://integratenet.st-andrews.ac.uk.

Kind regards

Beverley Searle

On behalf of the INTEGRATE team

Dr Beverley Searle

Acting Director, Centre for Housing Research

The Observatory Buchanan Gardens

University of St Andrews

Fife

Scotland KY16 9LZ

Tel: 01334 461792

http://ggsrv-cold.st-andrews.ac.uk/chr/homepage.aspx

INTEGRATE: Intergenerational Transfers

http://integratenet.st-andrews.ac.uk.

Mind the (Housing) Wealth Gap

http://wealthgap.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/
--

*Stephan Köppe*

Research Fellow

Centre for Housing Research

University of St Andrews

The Observatory

Buchanan Gardens

St Andrews KY16 9LZ

United Kingdom

T +44 1334 46 7325

www.st-andrews.ac.uk/gsd/people/sk67

*INTEGRATE*: International Network of Generational Transfers Research

http://integratenet.st-andrews.ac.uk

*Mind the (Housing) Wealth Gap*

www.st-andrews.ac.uk/wealthgap