Thanks Mike, it’s good to know I’m not alone and it’s a very useful comment about cutting the list down to those of primary interest.

Regards,

Elaine.

From: Academic, financial or space planning in UK universities [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike Wilson
Sent: 25 April 2013 11:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Previous Institutions - consistent set of data

Hi Elaine,

We have encountered this very same issue.

We have got around it for reporting purposes by introducing a second ‘reporting name’ field to group those codes/names together which we know to be the same institution, or separate out those with the same name but we know it’s a different institution (but only for those prev insts of interest to us!). You could achieve this directly within your business system if you have a spare field, or it’s the sort of task that might well be incorporated as part of an ETL process in your Business Intelligence software... it’s a one-off investment of time to break the back of the job with periodic maintenance as new codes are introduced or to deal with the inevitable mergers or name changes.

In most cases, we’re primarily interested in our regional partners and are looking at grouping others together for reporting purposes, using the postcode and institution type (e.g. FE College – North West England; Comprehensive School – West Midlands), this avoids the need to consider the individual names of all 19,000 records and just focus on those that we know are important to us. Unfortunately the postcode and type data is also problematic in some cases (I think these records come from UCAS?). It’s work in progress here, anyhow!

Regards,

Mike

Mr. Mike Wilson

Swyddog Cynllunio