From:         "Uwe E. Reinhardt" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:       Anglo-American Health Policy Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:         Fri, 12 Apr 2013 17:10:39
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Nudge and money

This has been an interesting exchange, so far, and I hope it will continue, so that I may learn from it.

If, after 20 years of working in the field of behavioral economics, Adam still "hasn't mastered it by any stretch of the imagination," imagine the plight of a little country economist from rural New Jersey.

When asked at dinner parties what behavioral economics is, I try to get off the hook by explaining that one can think of behavioral economics as an academic seminar to which psychologists and other disciplines have been invited and at which at least some economists discard their century-old hauteur to listen to insights from other disciplines.

So a kindly psychologist might explain to us that people actually do not cope with uncertainty in the elegant and simple way imagined by the von-Neumann-Morgenstern algorithm. Or we learn that the reaction of people to probabilities depends strongly on how that probability is described to them: "out of 100 patients undergoing this procedure, 4 die" vs. "out of 100 patients undergoing this procedure, 96 survive." We learn that "more choice" or "more options" is not necessarily better, something some standard economists have trouble grasping.

Thus educated, behavioral theorists then think of ways to structure the context in which decisions are made in a way that leads to choices that are somehow desired by the structurer. At least that is what I think of as the normative branch of behavioral economics.

Viewed in this way, behavioral economics is more than just an attempt to shore up standard economic analysis. It is an attempt to build models of systematic human behavior based on axioms and hypotheses that come closer to life here on earth rather than to life on planet Econ, as Tsung-Mei Cheng had put it so nicely at a talk at iHEA Toronto in the attached slide. It is an attempt to bring models of economic behavior back to earth from outer space, to where mathematical standard economics had blasted it.

Best,

Uwe