Hello Walking Artists,

I am a Canadian literature professor (North American literature, nature writing and environmental literature, ecocriticism, literary theory) and I am preparing a graduate course on "Psychogeography in the Wild" for fall 2013, and I have a number of works in mind, but I'm curious as to what additional ones you might suggest.  I will be including mostly Canadian and some American texts, but the only British text I have in mind so far is Roger Deakin's WATERLOG (unfortunately one day in a generous mood I gave the book to a friend who was engaging in wetsuit swims off the coast of British Columbia so I didn't get a chance to finish it).  I will have several works about walking and walks on the text list, but I also plan to include mountain hikes (maybe Joe Simpson's TOUCHING THE VOID, which I just started reading -- not sure yet whether I would include it or not), kayaking and/or rowing expeditions, maybe riding horseback.

The course is not restricted as to its place of origin, though it must be an English-language text.  And I will probably include a film or two or four.  The course is not a historical course but mostly contemporary, though I am also going to include one captivity narrative from long ago.

As something to offer in exchange for your suggestions, I will let you know about a fantastic Canadian text by Karsten Heuer, BEING CARIBOU: FIVE MONTHS ON FOOT WITH AN ARCTIC HERD.  There is also a (freely available, at least in Canada) film made by Karsten's partner and companion on the trek, Leanne Allison, accessible via the National Film Board of Canada (nfb.ca probably).  I have an article on this book in press in the first anthology of Canadian ecocriticism, which theorizes Heuer and Allison's walking practice.

Any suggestions?  Thank you in advance.  You may wish to use my [log in to unmask] address rather than reply to the entire listserv.

Dr. Pamela Banting

On 2013-03-25, at 9:55 AM, Dillon de Give wrote:

Dear Walking Artist Network,

Here is a link to my new walking project "Long Walks in the Museum" presented with The Walk Exchange and Flux Factory in New York City.
http://www.fluxfactory.org/events/long-walks-in-the-museum/. Please feel free to forward to any interested parties.

all the best, and thanks for your energy this year,
Dillon