Evie,

There's a large body of variationist research on Brazilian Portuguese, some of which touches on questions of word order, often as an independent variable which affects other variable processes.  Thus plural marking across the NP is variable, and depends on sequential position and position with respect to the head.  Generally speaking, NP initial and pre-head positions are very likely to get plural markers, whereas post-head positions and NP-finals are relatively unlikely.  Similarly, verbal plural marking is variable, and is sensitive to subject position: preverbal subjects favor deletion, especially when immediately adjacent, but agreement with postposed subjects is rare.  Most of this work is written in Portuguese, but some of it is addressed in my Penn dissertation, which was written in English (1981).  Also, I believe Tony Naro wrote something about heavy NP shift in Portuguese, and Claudia Roncarati did a study of placement of negatives.  There may be some work on word order by Fernando Tarallo as well.

Greg Guy