We've got some, they're fine, but nothing special. They are
(like the C6145s) part of this slightly rough and ready
'cloudserver' range that don't have quite the polish of a
normal Dell Poweredge.

> If we want to go for less cores /box what can be recommended?

Well, the C6100s or the equivalent (last I heard the current model
was the C6220, which is basically the same thing, but with newer
CPUs) are a fine choice - the motherboards are hotswappable, so
you can do things to one node without taking down the whole chassis,
so your effective size of 'box' is only two sockets, which is as
small as you'd feasibly want to go anyway.

Equivalently though, the SuperMicro versions are also decent (and
we chose Viglens over Dell C6220s last time around simply on the
basis of price).

As a general approach I'd email both your Dell and Viglen reps with
something along the lines of "I have £XX,XXX to spend and want as much
HepSpec06 as I can get for it, what have you got?" then take it from
there.

Ewan