For looking at GM atrophy from longitudinal pairs of scans, you could
do the following....

For each subject
    Run the SPM12b pairwise longitudinal registration to generate the
subject average and Jacobian difference (jd)
    Segment the subject average, generating c1, rc1, rc2
    Use ImCalc to compute c1.*jd (possibly dividing the result by the
time difference to give the rate of atrophy)

Run Dartel, aligning the rc1 and rc2 images from all subjects together

Normalise and smooth the c1.*jd images

Run stats

Note that computing TIV in SPM8 is not as straightforward as it was,
because the fluid class (c3) does not just consist of CSF.  There is
also eyeball fluid, and a bit of other stuff too.

Best regards,
-John