From: Realist and Meta-narrative Evidence Synthesis: Evolving Standards [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Paul Griffiths [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 14 March 2013 09:12
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Realist Evaluation of Hospital Length of Stay

Hi all,

I am aware that this mail group is more about realist synthesis than realist evaluation, but I thought I would post in the hope that someone may be able to help!

For my PhD I am planning to undertake a realist evaluation of length of stay in hospital for elective patients having a joint replacement procedure - the basic question I am asking is: 'What are the key factors that influence length of stay for elective patients in NHS hospitals'. As I am sure people are aware achieving optimum length of stay for patients is often viewed as a positive outcome to enable both effective and efficient care delivery - so I am planning to research how initiatives to reduce length of stay work (or don't work) and why.

I am in the process of developing my detailed research protocol to explain what I will be doing and why with the relevant ethical considerations etc...

I would be very grateful if anyone can point me to any realist evaluation protocols that would may be helpful as I develop mine, as this is a first for me!

Any help, comments, thoughts are gratefully received! Thanks, Paul
This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this e-mail to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic mail from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.

This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for any losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.