From: Realist and Meta-narrative Evidence Synthesis: Evolving Standards [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paul Griffiths
Sent: Thursday, 14 March 2013 7:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Realist Evaluation of Hospital Length of Stay

Hi all,

I am aware that this mail group is more about realist synthesis than realist evaluation, but I thought I would post in the hope that someone may be able to help!

For my PhD I am planning to undertake a realist evaluation of length of stay in hospital for elective patients having a joint replacement procedure - the basic question I am asking is: 'What are the key factors that influence length of stay for elective patients in NHS hospitals'. As I am sure people are aware achieving optimum length of stay for patients is often viewed as a positive outcome to enable both effective and efficient care delivery - so I am planning to research how initiatives to reduce length of stay work (or don't work) and why.

I am in the process of developing my detailed research protocol to explain what I will be doing and why with the relevant ethical considerations etc...

I would be very grateful if anyone can point me to any realist evaluation protocols that would may be helpful as I develop mine, as this is a first for me!

Any help, comments, thoughts are gratefully received! Thanks, Paul