Having just read the "12 myths" paper, it seems to me that most of the myths (whether true or not) are by the by, and wouldn't merit detailed rebuttals - they are largely about policy maker access to systematic reviews

It seems to me that the fundamental issue, familiar to everyone on this list, is that while systematic reviews might have some relevance to policy makers, they are of very limited use because they ignore most of the evidence, do not engage adequately with context etc.  The paper skates over this in the opening paragraphs.

In the conclusion there is a suggestion that future initiatives can further improve policy relevance of systematic reviews.  This would seem to be potentially a waste of resources - "flogging a dead horse" or "barking up the wrong tree".

Of the myths themselves, I find myth 11 the most interesting: "There are no resources that start with a policy issue and work backwards to mobilize synthesized evidence about a problem, options for addressing it, or implementation considerations".  30 evidence briefs at http://www.mcmasterhealthforum.org/healthsystemsevidence-en are cited.  I haven't looked at them, but the paper claims that they present "all of the available synthesized evidence related to the various elements of a poicy issue".  These might be interesting to look at and consider the nature of the synthesis?

Alan Boyd
Research Associate in Healthcare and Public Sector Management
The Herbert Simon Institute for Public Policy & Management
Manchester Business School

Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel: 0161 275 2923
Fax: 0161 275 0557
Web: www.mbs.ac.uk/research/people/profiles/alan.boyd<http://www.mbs.ac.uk/research/people/profiles/alan.boyd>

The University of Manchester
Harold Hankins building
University Precinct Centre
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL

Information about the health management group at MBS is at:
https://research.mbs.ac.uk/health/Home.aspx

The latest Herbert Simon Institute Update magazine is at http://research.mbs.ac.uk/hsi/<http://research.mbs.ac.uk/hsi/Portals/0/docs/MBS_Update_Spring2011.pdf>