*Apologies for cross-posting*

Dear All,

A reminder to all who are interested, that the deadline for applications is approaching soon...

The Work, Interaction and Technology Research Centre (WIT) at King’s College London is running an Advanced Summer Institute on video-based research methods. It is aimed primarily at doctoral students and other early career researchers.

The course, entitled ‘Video and the analysis of social interaction’ will be held from Monday 17th June to Tuesday 18th June 2013.

The application deadline is Wednesday 13th March 2013.

Course Outline:
Digital Video provides unprecedented opportunities for social science research, enabling the finegrained analysis of social organisation, culture and communication. This twoday course provides practical guidance for researchers interested in the use of video to analyse social interaction in range of domains (incl. health, technology, public places, organisations, etc.). It will provide insights on:

(i) how to collect data using digital video
(ii) how to subject video recordings to detailed scrutiny and analysis
(iii) how to present insights, observations and findings in presentation and publications

The course tutors are Prof. Christian Heath, Prof. Paul Luff, Prof. Jon Hindmarsh and Dr. Dirk vom Lehn.

The course will be structured around 'data sessions', in which participants will collaboratively discuss and analyse video data. All course tutors have extensive experience of video based research and have recently published a key text on the subject. A free copy of the book will be given to all participants.

Full fee: £375

(The fee does not cover accommodation, but it does include lunch and refreshments on both days as well as an evening meal for all participants on the Monday evening)

Bursaries: Some bursary funds are available for PhD students based in UK universities to offset cost of tuition.

To apply, download an application form from:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/pg/school/dtc/assets/AppForm2013.doc

Please note that last year we received around 70 applications for 24 places, so please do provide relevant details of your research project and your interests in the course in the application form. For any further information on how to apply, please email [log in to unmask]

Comments from some of last year's participants:

'I think the expertise and friendliness of staff has been invaluable'

'The organisation was very good. The days were not too long but dense and the material environment, human dispositions, excellent'

'The data sessions in the workshops were very useful. The practical information on shooting data and common errors was good - I wish I had seen it a year ago! Thank you to everyone involved – a very instructive and useful couple of days'

‘Thank you, for two great days in London. I enjoyed the course, and have already made plans for video analysis with my colleagues’

‘I would just like to say thank you for the fabulous video Summer Institute earlier this week, all the hard work and organisation was definitely seen and very much appreciated. It has truly given me lots to think about’

Menisha Patel
Department of Management
Kings College London
Franklin Wilkins Building