Hello,

I have a questionnaire-based experimental study (N = 59) involving two conditions. After giving participants the experimental manipulation, we presented the dependent measure. This consisted of a list of 24 personality traits (some positive, some negative). For each trait, we asked the participant to rate on a 1-7 scale: i) how much they possess this characteristic; and ii) how desirable it is to possess this characteristic. We want to compare the relationship between perceived possession and perceived desirability in the two conditions.

The author of the paper that we based the study on recommended that we run a within-subjects correlation, where for each participant we obtain the correlation between perceived possession and perceived desirability for each of the 24 traits, and then standardize these correlations before comparing them.

Does anybody know how you run a within-subjects correlation in SPSS (and how you save the resultant correlations into the data-file)?

Many thanks for your help,

Juliet.

Dr. Juliet Wakefield,
Post-Doctoral Researcher,