In response to the request about research on the impact of science shows, I have conducted a combined short and long term study on this area as part of an MSc dissertation using one of our science shows as the subject. I had a mixture of quantitative and qualitative data from audience members about the memories they have both immediately after the show, and then almost 2 years later. I then cross-referenced this with which demonstrations were mentioned and explained most frequently to try and draw some recommendations for the sector on how to ensure your shows have the best chance of having long-term impact. It was a relatively small study but hopefully done with some academic rigour (many hours spent coding focus group data I remember!) so hope this is a useful reference to others in the field.

I know that more recently Derek Fish (South Africa) and Graham Walker (ANU, Australia) have built on this work with related research.

It would be great if we could build more of it though!

You can find a summary document on the research pages of our website here:
http://www.sciencemadesimple.co.uk/about/research_evaluation
and if you want a full copy of my dissertation I am happy to share. Just get in touch off-list

Happy Easter all!
Wendy
_______________________________
My usual working days are Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. So forgive my silence on Wednesdays and Fridays!
_______________________________
Wendy Sadler
Director, science made simple
www.sciencemadesimple.co.uk

Part of The Training Group - Supporting public engagement in the research community
www.thetraininggroup.org.uk

Queens Buildings
14-17 The Parade
Cardiff CF24 3AA