I think 'poetics' is larger than this, although it can certainly include these topics. As something of a formalist, I would suggest that Chris is arguing about a kind of lyric, & what traditional lyric lacks. That's a huge construct in itself, & a very large series of arguments ensues, I suspect.

Doug
On 2013-03-13, at 4:22 AM, Kasper Salonen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> If you're saying that poetry that doesn't address issues of gender or
> misconceptions of sexuality isn't poetry, I disagree. Then again I may have
> misunderstood, I'm having trouble following your syntax. Or your point, to
> be honest, but these are interesting things to discuss generally, too. I
> certainly consider poetry a fitting medium through which to approach topics
> that require a readjustment of attitude, because poetry relies on
> readjustments to do with language and communication all the time. And I
> *would* say that the only type of poetry worth its salt is the type that
> problematizes its own vantage point, however discreetly.
>
> KS
>
> On 13 March 2013 10:35, Chris Jones <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> On 03/03/13 13:12, Kasper Salonen wrote:
>>
>>> PS I'm guessing this ranks heavily as the "etc" in "Poetryetc".
>>>

>> The question and the problems of these poetics is essential and one of the
>> most important problems of poetics in the late 20th and early 21st century
>> so is essential the the poetics of this list.  Without an encounter with
>> this is to say a total failure of poetics in our time... light is failing
>> and I do not have ship power so must end here.... but poetry which does do
>> encounter this problem cannot be considered poetry...

Douglas Barbour

http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/
http://eclecticruckus.wordpress.com/

Latest books:
Continuations & Continuations 2 (with Sheila E Murphy)
http://www.uap.ualberta.ca/UAP.asp?LID=41&bookID=962
Recording Dates
(Rubicon Press)

Reserved books. Reserved land. Reserved flight.
And still property is theft.

                                    Phyllis Webb