Alison Clarke, Director of the Papanek Foundation, is currently com-
pleting a comprehensive history of Papanek:
http://papanek.org/symposium/

I would strongly recommend reading the insightfully critical history of
what could be called the both/and (if Papanek is read as either/or)
by Pedar Anker (covering the more techno-utopian approach from
Buckminster Fuller [usefully recontextualized in ways the Fuller
Institute was, by all reports, not happy with] to Stewart Brand]):
http://pederanker.com/

For a strong version of the either/or, see the work of Tony Fry, whose
EcoDesign Foundation was founded sound after the UK-based
EcoDesign Society whose newsletter often carried Papanek articles:
http://www.amazon.com/Tony-Fry/e/B001JP7O4K
Cameron
Assoc.Prof. Cameron Tonkinwise
Director of Design Studies
School of Design, Carnegie Mellon University
MMCH 202A, Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890
ph (+1) 412 268 6937
email: [log in to unmask]