By way of thanks for Eduardo's as-always beautiful post,
some adjoining fragments:

To cite Robert Wilson's borrowed subtitle (for the CIVIL warS)
A tree is best measured when it is down
The quotation continues:
and so it is with people. --Carl Sandburg, Lincoln in the War Years
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Civil_Wars:_A_Tree_Is_Best_Measured_When_It_Is_Down

Maurice Blanchot's claim that:
"“After the object comes the image. ‘After’ means that the thing must first take itself off a ways in order to be grasped.”
http://www.cabinetmagazine.org/issues/21/kaplan.php

Cameron