Dear Chuck,

Well said. You raise a big issue that deserves a completely different
thread.

The current state of play is:

1. We have a big, pretty messy literature about design activities that is
pretty much broad brush and guesswork

2. In design research and design practice we have some practical  heuristic
speculations on what designers can do to design better, but there is no
fundamental well-justified theory foundations for them. In many cases, also,
the heuristics give less than great outcomes and we can't explain why or
identify exactly what to do to avoid them.

3. By drilling down  and asking why is that, and why is that ,  and why we
are getting to some clarification on items of theory like creativity and
intuition that have to date  been subjective and speculative.  Worse, there
is also substantial evidence (witness, memory, perception, bias research
etc) that such theories based on subjective self-reports are unreliable.

As you point out, this leaves a gap which is how to derive theories about
design methods and the design methods themselves, on the basis of this new
knowledge.  Even before getting to the point of drilling down to the detail
of design thinking, this  'design-guideline gap' has been evident for some
years. I remember writing about it   a few years ago.

So, you are right, the current state of play is we still need to build
theories for design methods that take into account  new insights about the
fact that our bodies make decisions long before our minds get to know about
them and that our reasoning  and memories are modified by our bodies to suit
what our bodies want whilst giving our apparently conscious 'selves'  the
belief  that we thought of things, made decisions, were creative/intuitional
etc .

Advertising and film making has assumed this for decades  without the depth
of theory to explain it.

One of the first 'design' theories on this track was made by Bastick in 1980
(Intuition: How we think and act)  deriving methods that took into account
the reflexive systems of interactions between individuals'  musclo-skeletal
dynamics  and thought  as it relates to  problems, intuition and solution
generation. In essence, it implies there are improvements in design ability
by a variety of techniques. It also provides an evidenced physiological
explanation for both the 'Aha' phenomenon and how problems are resolved by
thinking hard about them and then relaxing.

So, some of the ground work is in place. The rest  needs building.

As part of that, I would be grateful could you say in more detail what you
mean by 'a reflective interpretation of situated phenomena that places
emphasis on the thinker's prior experience and summary beliefs, preferences
and habits'. 'Who' is doing the 'reflective interpretation'? Why is it
'reflective'? How is 'emphasis' done  and how does it  causally affect
things and what does it affect?

Warm regards,
Terry
===
Dr Terence Love FDRS, AMIMechE, PMACM, MISI
Director,
Love Services Pty Ltd
PO Box 226, Quinns Rocks
Western Australia 6030