Hello list

I would like to suggest a way of improving the questions posed on JISCmail.
Please take the following in the positive and helpful manner it is intended.. I am not trying to put anyone off posing a question... more drawing attention to the core function of JISCmail which is the improved  education of the members.

I do get slightly concerned when people pose a question on how to do something.. such as provide a service for a new (to them) industry without giving any indication that they have thought about it and looked up information themselves .

If they are OH qualified they should have the ability to make a basic search on the internet of guidance including the HSE website as a basic, and should themselves have thought through what the major hazards are. They can then use  this information  as part of the question which will inform others .

For example:
"I am new to the X industry and want to makes sure that I have covered all important aspects.
I have identified  the major hazards as Y and Z  and attach the links to the HSE website and the information from the trade organisation/ Union on  health and safety.

I am proposing to do the following health surveillance at the following intervals by questionnaire/ test.

Can I ask those providing a service to this industry if they have any further advice and practical tips?"

To be honest, it can give the appearance to those who look at JISC (and this is in the public domain) that the person who poses the question does not have sufficient  underpinning knowledge to set up or provide a service. And this is not likely to be the case. It also leads those who might respond to the appropriate type of information to supply.

I suggest that when you pose a question, you try to give some useful information/knowledge to others when doing so.

Kind regards
Diane Romano-Woodward