hi michael
the conference sounds interesting and I'd love to know more about it... but Julian is not the first to note this, and in fact it is often discussed as part of the history of the show. Bruce Altschuler in his book 'The Avant-Garde in Exhibition' devotes pages to When Attitudes Become Form, and notes very clearly about the sponsorship, that "packs of cigarettes were given away at the opening" (page 254) backed up by a footnote citing 1992 interviews with Joseph Kosuth and Lawrence Weiner.
yours,
sarah

p.s Armin, was it not also that case that Tanja's key goal was for Szeeman to see her pubic hair, groomed to be a Malevich-inspired black square on white? Once he relented and did so her art project of following him around ended?

On 13 Mar 2013, at 18:01, Michael Connor wrote:

> Speaking of Szeeman and transparency - Julian Myers gave a paper on
> 'When Attitudes Become Form' and '9 at Castelli' at the Exhibition as
> Medium conference at Harvard this past weekend, and he made a
> fascinating point.
>
> All of the documentation from the opening of 'When Attitudes Become
> Form' seems to depict artists smoking - he had plenty of great example
> images - and the exhibition was in fact sponsored by Phillip Morris,
> one of their first efforts in the area of art sponsorship. This is a
> fact that is not usually discussed as part of the history of this
> show, but somehow it seems like it's not irrelevant.
>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 4:40 AM, Armin Medosch <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am sure many are familiar with the performance by Serbian artist Tanja
>> Ostovic at the biennale of Venice 2001.
>>
>> Quote Wikipedia: her performance "I'll Be Your Angel" involved her following
>> around the independent curator and art historian Harald Szeemann - who had
>> at his disposal a significant budget - for days, all the time simply smiling
>> fondly at him.[2][7] The one-time "great subversive" Szeemann did not see
>> the funny side of this, however, and made sure she was excluded from all his
>> projects.
>>
>> best
>> armin
>>

>> On 03/13/2013 12:14 PM, KathyRae Huffman wrote:
>>>
>>> There will be an exhibition on the curatorial work of Szeeman at the
>>> Venice Biennale this year, The Getty Research Institute has the
>>> archive, and the Prada Foundation is presenting and supporting the
>>> exhibition.  This will be a must-see!
>>>
>>> Cheers, Kathy

> --
> Michael Connor
> +1 646 620 7758

Dr. Sarah Cook
Reader
MA Curating Module Leader

Faculty of Arts, Design and Media
University of Sunderland

David Putnam Media Centre
St. Peter's Campus
Sunderland, SR7 0DD
ex 2134

Curator for the Festival of Electronic Arts and Video, Transitio_MX05 "Biomediations", September 19-29, 2013 in Mexico City

Co-editor and co-founder, The Curatorial Resource for Upstart Media Bliss, www.crumbweb.org

Read our books:

Euphoria & Dystopia: The Banff New Media Institute Dialogues.
e-edition now available for $19.99 CAD!
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/book/euphoria-dystopia/id597963828?mt=11&uo=4

Rethinking Curating: Art After New Media. http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=12071

A Brief History of Curating New Media Art, and A Brief History of Working with New Media Art.
http://www.thegreenbox.net