Morning CRUMBsters,

I thought I could add another interesting example to the list of curatorial transparency projects, but in retrospect rather than in advance: The exhibition Dear Lynda, currently on view at the Cooper Gallery at the University of Dundee features material from the archive of curator Lynda Morris. The catalogue is essentially a newsprint-like booklet (they call it an autobiographical 'zine) reproducing the material alongside extended labels/commentaries written in the first person by Lynda explaining the significance or story behind each object.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/djcad/exhibitions/exhibitions/dear-lynda/

It is a refreshing change from usual curatorial-process-histories which are based around interviews with the curators (ref Hans Ulrich Obrist) in that this one is instead built around an archives.

A similarly wonderful show has been on view in the Education Center of MoMA about the papers of Seth Siegelaub which are now preserved as part of the library/archive at MoMA, though the labels are written by the archivist/conservator and not by the curatorial subject in question.
http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/1352

I wonder if we are seeing the next stage in curatorial study -- exhibitions devoted to the practice of curators. Can anyone name any others? (has the Getty mounted a show about Szeeman yet?)

Lindsay, it would be great if you could recap any links you've been sent off-list back here to the list for us.

thanks
Sarah

On 8 Mar 2013, at 20:44, Lindsay Howard wrote:

> Hey CRUMB,
>
> I wrote an essay for Hyperallergic's #TumblrArt series called "The Way We
> Share: Transparency in Curatorial
> Practice<http://hyperallergic.com/66581/the-way-we-share-transparency-in-curatorial-practice/>",
> discussing Paola Antonelli, Nicholas O'Brien, and Domenico Quaranta's
> research blogs.  If you have thoughts on this topic and/or examples of
> other curators who are developing research this way, please email me or
> leave a comment.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Lindsay Howard
> @Lindsay_Howard <https://twitter.com/Lindsay_Howard>
> http://lindsayhoward.net

Dr. Sarah Cook
Reader
MA Curating Module Leader

Faculty of Arts, Design and Media
University of Sunderland

David Putnam Media Centre
St. Peter's Campus
Sunderland, SR7 0DD
ex 2134

Curator for the Festival of Electronic Arts and Video, Transitio_MX05 "Biomediations", September 19-29, 2013 in Mexico City

Co-editor and co-founder, The Curatorial Resource for Upstart Media Bliss, www.crumbweb.org

Read our books:

Euphoria & Dystopia: The Banff New Media Institute Dialogues.
e-edition now available for $19.99 CAD!
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/book/euphoria-dystopia/id597963828?mt=11&uo=4

Rethinking Curating: Art After New Media. http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=12071

A Brief History of Curating New Media Art, and A Brief History of Working with New Media Art.
http://www.thegreenbox.net