Workshop: Rethinking Bioethical Expertise, 6-7th June 2013, Queen's University Belfast.

This workshop has been organized to 'rethink' the concept of bioethical expertise. Whilst this topic has been addressed by a number of researchers such work has often been narrowly focused on the expertise embedded within applied ethical analysis, whilst other forms of bioethical scholarship have been relatively neglected. Furthermore this focus has tended to result in conceptions of ‘ethical expertise’ as a form of ‘technical rationality.’ In contrast research from a more phenomenological perspective suggests ‘expertise’ is a matter of tacit knowledge and embodied skill.

We welcome abstracts from researchers who are engaged in rethinking the nature of bioethics from a broad range of disciplinary perspectives. We are interested in the 'bioscientific,' 'biomedical' and 'professional' domains of bioethics and, therefore, of bioethical expertise.

Places for presenters and attendees are very limited due the desire to create a discursive event which will produce a longer term engagement with this theme. Further details can be found at:

http://go.qub.ac.uk/bioethicalexpertise

Or from the organiser, Nathan Emmerich ([log in to unmask]).