THE CONDITION OF THE WORKING CLASS (82 mins)
A new documentary feature film by Michael Wayne & Deirdre O'Neill

Synopsis

Everything changes and yet everything stays the same. 1844: Friedrich Engels writes his book 'The Condition of the Working Class in England', a classic denunciation of the appalling living conditions for working people living at the heart of the industrial revolution in Manchester, England.  In 2012: a group of working class people from Manchester and Salford have the job of devising a theatrical show from scratch based on their own experiences and Engels' book. They have 8 weeks before their first performance. The Condition of the Working Class follows the process from the first rehearsal to first night and situates their struggle to get the show on stage in the context of the daily struggles of working people facing economic crisis and austerity politics.

 'This is not a film, it's a rehearsal for revolution' - Film International.

"If you want to see how, fundamentally, the way people see and treat each other in Britain has not changed in over 160 years watch this film. Some things have changed. People have sewers now, £9 JSA a day, are taught to read, but not really to write or speak. We still look up and down at each other in ways we did then, betray ourselves through our accents, our dress  our work - if we can get a job. It might be theatre but it’s not acting. It’s a blow against the mean low money grabbers."   -   Danny Dorling

The Condition of the Working Class will be screened in these venues in the coming months.
All screenings will be followed by a Q & A with the film’s directors.

April
Friday April 5th: SALFORD ARTS THEATRE Salford,  7.30pm.   http://www.salfordartstheatre.com/whats-on
Saturday April 6th: PEOPLE’S HISTORY MUSEUM Manchester, 2.pm. http://www.phm.org.uk/
Saturday April 20th: MINERS COMMUNITY CENTRE , Moston, 7.30pm. http://www.smallcinema.re-dock.org/category/films
Thursday April 25th: MANCHESTER UNIVERSITYThe John Casken Lecture Theatre, Martin Harris Centre, 5pm.
Sunday April 28th: CROSS STREET CHAPEL, Cross Street, Manchester, M2 1NL. 2pm.
May
Tuesday May 7th: CALDER'S BOOKSHOP London, The Cut, Waterloo, 7.30pm. http://calderbookshop.com/
Wednesday May 8th: GOLDSMITH’S UNIVERSITY New Cross, London, 6.30pm, main building (RHB) room 144.
Saturday May 11th: UPSTAIRS AT THE CARRIAGE WORKS , Leeds, 7.30pm. http://www.carriageworkstheatre.org.uk/
Tuesday May 14th: CALDER'S BOOKSHOP London, The Cut, Waterloo, 7.30pm. http://calderbookshop.com/
Wednesday May 15th: THE WORKING CLASS MOVEMENT LIBRARY Salford, 2pm. http://www.wcml.org.uk/
Saturday May 25th: LA CASA Liverpool 2.pm at 29 Hope Street,L1 9BQ.
June
Friday June 7th: THE WORKING MEN’S COLLEGE , 7.00pm. 44 Crowndale Rd, London, NW1 1TR.
Tuesday June 11thTHE HOUSE OF COMMONS (GRAND COMMITTEE ROOM), 7.30pm (This is a public screening, please allow 20-30 mins to get through security).
Wednesday June 12th: METAL AT EDGE HILL STATION , 6.30pm. Tunnel Road, Liverpool http://www.metalculture.com/
Sunday June 16th: UNOFFICIAL HISTORIES CONFERENCE , People's History Museum, Manchester, 1.30pm.
Saturday June 22nd: THE NEW THEATRE CONNOLLY BOOKS , 2.00pm 43 Essex Street, Dublin.
MORE DATES TO FOLLOW