Dear Colleagues,

The NUJ is trying urgently to collect names on the item below. If you wish to support this intervention, which will be of concern to many of us working in this field, can you please email Sarah Kavanagh at the NUJ before 12 noon today. Her email is: [log in to unmask]

Tom O’Malley

From: Sarah Kavanagh [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

I am trying to collect signatures from trade unions, academics, press freedom campaigns and others - to sign the below statement about the Justice and Security Bill.

To confirm you/your organisation wants to support the joint statement - please email me back/reply to this message.

We already have confirmation to sign up from TUC, NUJ, Amnesty International, Reprieve and Justice.

The Campaign for Press and Broadcasting Freedom, Index on Censorship, journalist academics and lawyers have also signed up too.

Anything you can do to help at such short notice would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Sarah Kavanagh

NUJ senior campaigns and communications officer

A charter for cover ups

We are deeply concerned by the Justice and Security Bill.

It was drafted in response to legal cases involving allegations of UK complicity in secret rendition, torture and inhumane treatment.

The Bill is a charter for cover ups.

Neither the public, nor the victims, nor their lawyers or the media will have a right to know.

Court records could be kept secret forever.

Secret courts could be extended to undercover police officers, suspects in custody and deaths in the military.

The measures in the Bill are an attack on open and accessible justice, they threaten the right to fair trial and the rule of law.

Journalism at its best uncovers the truth and the Bill intends to hide the evidence.

We are asking MPs to make their vote count and to oppose the secret courts proposals in the Justice and Security Bill next week.