From: A discussion and announcement list for the Mass-Observation community [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Jessica Scantlebury [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:01 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MASSOBS] Mass Observation Publications

This message has been sent through the MASSOBS discussion list. Remember, clicking 'reply' sends your message to the list. -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Simon,

I didn't hear the poem on Radio 4. Can you remember the day/programme it was on?

I do remember a discussion about this poem on this e-mail list a couple of years ago. James Hinton provided some context to poem. Please see below.

Best wishes,

Jessica

Further to Jessica’s note:

The Betjeman verse is from a poem called The Dear Old Village, first published in Harpers Bazaar in July/August 1947 with an editorial note: ‘In our innocence we asked John Betjeman, a contented country gentleman (we thought), to write us a panegyric on rural life. This brilliant but savage satire is what we got.’

You can find the full text in Google Books, by googling the title.

MO’s study of village life, Exmore Village, had been published in April 1947.

James Hinton