They have now granted us access to the missing content.  Though it did take
3 contacts to do something which should have automatically happened - or at
least how I read the code of practice.  The departing publisher is supposed
to indicate to the new publisher the ownership rights and activation should
be transparent.

Part of the reason I get very frustrated with these types of responses is
that we have a new serials assistant.  It would have been likely she would
have accepted the activation dates and we would have lost access to
$1,000-1,200 worth of content we had paid for.  If for some reason, time
passes before we notice, it would get harder and harder to correct.

Additionally - the response was a canned response which had been given to
other customers.  Did they know their rights?  Did they pursue access or
just accept the answer?  How many of them might pay for access to the
archive because they did not understand their rights?

Mike

Mike Poulin
Head of Digital Initiatives and Resources
Professor in the University Libraries
Colgate University Libraries
13 Oak Drive
Hamilton, NY 13346