Stevan

My comments are interspersed. Best wishes.

Arthur

From: Repositories discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stevan Harnad
Sent: Friday, 15 March 2013 9:14 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Harnad Comments on Proposed HEFCE/REF Green Open Access Mandate

On 2013-03-14, at 6:00 PM, Arthur Sale <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Unfortunately Stevan, Nick was asking you about the Australian Research Council’s policy.

Thanks, Arthur,  for pointing out that I had mistaken an ACT [Arthur] ARC policy query for a HEFCE/REF policy query

(since it was on the HEFCE/REF thread).

Some queries below:

The metadata must always be deposited in the IR, but the AM or VoR (either is ok) need

only be deposited if one of them is not otherwise OA.  If they are, then a link to the OA

version suffices (URL, DOI, etc).  In all relevant cases an immediate deposit, OA when

possible but max 12 months applies, so that’ll make you a bit happier.

Of course this does not compel people to do that, but that is what the policy allows,

and what most Australian researchers will follow.  Note that ‘otherwise OA’ covers a

broader field than Gold journals, for example a subject repository, a personal website,

the cloud, etc. The intention is clear: the ARC wants open access, and it is happy to

prescribe that. It is not concerned with how compliance might be monitored.

Compliance with the ARC policy is however not difficult to determine for the institution.

How so? If authors might be depositing anywhere?

[Arthur] For the ARC policy (and the NHMRC), each research project will be individually tracked. There are not that many for a Research Office to check that any links are to live full-texts.  In any case, compliance is sheeted home to the Chief Investigator, who is responsible for ensuring compliance by each and every co-author partly funded by the grant. The institution is merely a backstop. The threat is that non-compliant Chief Investigators might not get future funding.

 The issue that now concerns Australian open access advocates is ‘What approach do

we take to get our institutions to adopt institutional mandates?’ There are very few

of these in Australia, though now both our research councils have similar funder

mandates. Left to themselves, universities are likely to just implement those policies,

which affect only a fraction of the academics (albeit an active group).  I believe the

only strategy for us that makes sense is to try to get universities to adopt a union of

the two funder mandate policies, to apply to all academics in the institution. That

might work. Trying for a much more expansive institutional mandate (like your

deposit even if already in a Gold journal) seems likely to fail, as an absurd requirement.

Why is it an absurd requirement to deposit immediately in the author's IR, regardless of whether the

journal is subscription or OA and of whether the deposit is embargoed or immediate OA?

[Arthur] It is absurd because it is plainly unnecessary (duplicated work) and will be seen to be so, both by the authors and the senior administrators. If something is worth doing, do it once – a cardinal principle of computer science. The article is OA – that’s what the policy requires. Why do the authors need to do extra work?  The argument that an OA article should be co-deposited in an IR relies simply on a second order issue: does it simplify the repository administrators’ work in ensuring compliance?  Why should a researcher care? Even this issue is questionable, if the administrators have to do it.

Frankly, if an IR wants a copy of an already OA article, all it has to do it download it and automatically deposit it. It has the link. No human intervention, just a little bit of software and a cron task. Of course, the software could also do some due diligence checks to ensure the title and authors match.

That simple, natural, uniform local deposit procedure is precisely what makes it easy for an institution

to monitor compliance.

And that's part of the reason why HEFCE/REF proposed it.

[Arthur] I cannot speculate as to what is in HEFCE/REF’s mind.

Maybe if it is actually adopted by HEFCE/REF, ARC will eventually see fit to follow suit?

[Arthur] I hope they are not so foolish, and think it unlikely. We did not follow Finch. We should all be encouraging the open access journals that exist and are being established. We should rely on them, because they are our long-term future.

To forestall the inevitable answer, I am not saying we should specially fund them (as Finch). But if people make their articles OA, whether free or via an APC, of their own choice, I cannot conceive why I would want to be Big Brother to penalize them for doing so.

 BTW, the ARC mandate appears to apply to monographs (books) arising

from research grants as well as journal articles, but that is another thread…

Lot's of luck. But my hands are full trying to first get what is already fully doable, and long overdue,

done, at long last…

[Arthur] I know, and the books mandate has many issues, I am sure. I am not an advocate of it, but that’s what they say. They also say things about access to data too…

Stevan

Arthur Sale

Tasmania, Australia