On 2013-03-14, at 6:00 PM, Arthur Sale <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Unfortunately Stevan, Nick was asking you about the Australian Research Council’s policy.

Thanks, Arthur,  for pointing out that I had mistaken an ACT policy query for a HEFCE/REF policy query
(since it was on the HEFCE/REF thread).

Some queries below:

> The metadata must always be deposited in the IR, but the AM or VoR (either is ok) need
> only be deposited if one of them is not otherwise OA.  If they are, then a link to the OA
> version suffices (URL, DOI, etc).  In all relevant cases an immediate deposit, OA when
> possible but max 12 months applies, so that’ll make you a bit happier.
>
> Of course this does not compel people to do that, but that is what the policy allows,
> and what most Australian researchers will follow.  Note that ‘otherwise OA’ covers a
> broader field than Gold journals, for example a subject repository, a personal website,
> the cloud, etc. The intention is clear: the ARC wants open access, and it is happy to
> prescribe that. It is not concerned with how compliance might be monitored.
>
> Compliance with the ARC policy is however not difficult to determine for the institution.

How so? If authors might be depositing anywhere?

>  The issue that now concerns Australian open access advocates is ‘What approach do
> we take to get our institutions to adopt institutional mandates?’ There are very few
> of these in Australia, though now both our research councils have similar funder
> mandates. Left to themselves, universities are likely to just implement those policies,
> which affect only a fraction of the academics (albeit an active group).  I believe the
> only strategy for us that makes sense is to try to get universities to adopt a union of
> the two funder mandate policies, to apply to all academics in the institution. That
> might work. Trying for a much more expansive institutional mandate (like your
> deposit even if already in a Gold journal) seems likely to fail, as an absurd requirement.

Why is it an absurd requirement to deposit immediately in the author's IR, regardless of whether the
journal is subscription or OA and of whether the deposit is embargoed or immediate OA?

That simple, natural, uniform local deposit procedure is precisely what makes it easy for an institution
to monitor compliance.

And that's part of the reason why HEFCE/REF proposed it.

Maybe if it is actually adopted by HEFCE/REF, ARC will eventually see fit to follow suit?

>  BTW, the ARC mandate appears to apply to monographs (books) arising
> from research grants as well as journal articles, but that is another thread…

Lot's of luck. But my hands are full trying to first get what is already fully doable, and long overdue,
done, at long last…

Stevan