Conference on Oral and Written Cultures in Early Modern Italy

School of Music, University of Leeds
Thursday 5 and Friday 6 September 2013

We are pleased to announce that registration is now open for our forthcoming conference. This conference is being organised as part of the project ‘Oral culture, manuscript and print in early modern Italy, 1450-1700’, funded by the European Research Council. It will investigate how Italian oral culture was related to written culture in this period and how far it was independent of writing.

Plenary speakers:
Peter Burke (University of Cambridge): Oral and Written Cultures in Early Modern Italy
Elizabeth Cohen (York University, Toronto): Honeyed Words in Roman Streets c. 1600: Cajoling, Seducing, Building Trust
Thomas Cohen (York University, Toronto): Vox populi: Speaking as a popolo to Political Effect
Rob Henke (Washington University in St Louis): Performing Pamphlets: Orality and Literacy in Early Modern Piazza canterini
Robert Kendrick (University of Chicago): Litanies, Falsobordone, and Recitation: Improvised Sonic Prayer in Early Modern Italy
Françoise Waquet (CNRS, Paris): The Learned Speak / I letterati parlano

A provisional conference programme, with the titles and abstracts of panel papers can be found on our website: http://arts.leeds.ac.uk/italianvoices/conference-2013/

The conference is open to all.

Registration
To register, please visit the Leeds University conference store here: http://store.leeds.ac.uk/browse/product.asp?catid=466&modid=1&compid=1

Early bird rates of £45 (£25 for students/retired/unwaged) are available until 30 June 2013.

From 1 July 2013, these rates will increase to £75 (£50 for students/retired/unwaged).

Registration will close on 19 August 2013.

The registration fee covers attendance at both days of the conference, including lunches and refreshments.

A conference dinner will also be held on the evening of Thursday 5 September. If you wish to attend the dinner, this should be purchased at an additional cost of £30 at the conference store.

Accommodation
Accommodation is not included in the registration fees, but reduced delegate rates are available at some hotels. Further details on booking accommodation can be found on our website here: http://arts.leeds.ac.uk/italianvoices/conference-2013/

We would strongly advise delegates to book their accommodation as soon as possible as we have been informed that an Elton John concert is to be held at the new Leeds arena on the 4 September 2013, so there is likely to be a shortage of accommodation and an increase in room rates nearer to the date.

Please consult our website for further details of the conference and the research project.

If you have any queries, please contact: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Otherwise, we hope to be able to welcome you to Leeds for our conference.

Best wishes,
The Italian Voices research team