But yes, it is still a separate shapefile, for historical reasons - we have a lot of records for the old Viatores routes, which have only been partly dealt with. We also have records for genuine stretches of Roman road in different places, and none of them have GIS linears. I would love to integrate it all properly but there is no time for such a luxury, and I needed a shapefile for putting into presentations, and just sending to other people.

Thanks for the tip, though, and for the responses. I suppose the underlying question is, which HERs have confidence in their Roman road pattern?

Isobel

From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Crispin Flower
Sent: 25 March 2013 16:38
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: 'Roman roads'

I hope this is never actually managed as a separate shapefile !?  If the data is properly integrated in the HER, it should be simple to generate this “layer” by querying for monument records with period = roman and type = road (then exporting to shapefile where necessary). You can actually achieve this with some success now on the Heritage Gateway, albeit a partial picture.

Now wishing it was late on a Friday…

Crispin