Dear FSL Experts,

I have been using FIRST tool since FSL4 and I have few questions regarding the new vertexanalysis implemented in FSL5.
  1. User guide mentions that FIRST glm is different from FEAT ie it does not model separate group variances and ignores the "Group". Given this, do we have a way to perform ANOVA analyses? I am interested in performing 2-factors 2-levels ANOVA.
  2. Since “group” is not allowed, I tried performing interaction analyses by entering the parameter as single EV while providing positive values for first group & negative values for second group [multplying by -1]. Please advise whether this is appropriate.
  3. Is it mandatory to provide F-contrast? If yes, why so? I am interested in directional [one-tailed] changes and would like to specify only t-contrasts.
  4. I am familiar with visualizing output images of 'randomise' tool in FSLview. However, this particular line from FIRST user guide confuses me - “Interpretting the results of a correlation: the values in the p-value images will give the probability of a zero correlation (the null hypothesis) at each vertex.” Does this mean that correlation result images will have 'p values' instead of the usual '1 - p values' ?
Please answer these queries.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Sunil

Sunil Kalmady Vasu,
Research Associate  - Dept of Psychiatry
Translational Psychiatry Laboratory (TransPsych Lab)
Cognitive Neurobiology Division
Neurobiology Research Centre
Bangalore - 560029. India.